Best of 2016


Phew, we made it to the end of 2016. MYWLT turned 5 and electronic music has taken over the music charts once and for all.  There has also been so much new talent popping up out of the blue, delivering some amazing and unforgettable tunes. Below I have highlighted my personal favourites, who I think made 2016 extra special. 


Artist(s) of the Year: The Chainsmokers


You may love them or hate them, but Alex and Drew have without a doubt had the most success popularising dance music this year. I've heard their music play everywhere, in elevators and in public restrooms. Their releases have been incredibly consistent and they've climbed to the top on pretty much every single chart I can think of. With "Closer" feat. Halsey they were in charge of anthem of 2016...they've pretty much achieved it all. Most importantly though, they've stayed true to their concept and themselves, especially considering how many people try to judge and point fingers at them. Respect and congrats to you, Alex and Drew!



Stream music by The Chainsmokers on SPOTIFY
Follow The Chainsmokers on social media: FACEBOOK // TWITTER

Upcoming: Gryffin


He might not have been the producer with the most releases in 2016, but his single "Heading Home" feat. Josef Salvat, which was released in January did mark a new beginning for Gryffin. Having had success before with his incredible remixes, his new original work really struck a chord with me. He later followed up with "Whole Heart" feat. Bipolar Sunshine, which was also a stellar release, but since them it has been a little bit quiet. However, I will take quality over quantity any day and I am confident we will hear much more from Gryffin in 2017.

On a side note, Gryffin is also responsible for the most hyped track on the MYWLT Hype Machine site, with his remix for CHVRCHES "Clearest Blue". 



Stream music by Gryffin on SPOTIFY
Follow Gryffin on social media: FACEBOOK // TWITTER

EP of the Year: Up All Night by Matt Dimona


The EP has somehow gained in popularity over the classic album format, hence I didn't include any "Album of the Year" in my list. That also makes it a lot easier for me to pick my favourite, which is this 5 track piece of happiness by Matt Dimona. With his dreamy, feel good electronica vibe, the young LA based producer has created a sound that has managed to calm me down in the most stressful situations throughout the year. That alone is quite an accomplishment. Thank you for making me survive Matt! 



Stream music by Matt Dimona on SPOTIFY
Follow Matt Dimona on social media: FACEBOOK // TWITTER


Remix Hero(es) of the Year: Two Friends


Most of the tracks I feature are remixes. They can be fun, awesome and sometimes better than the original version. Two Friends, Matt Halper & Eli Sones, have managed to release 10 incredible remixes. Their latest remix for Tove Lo's "Cool Girl" might be my favourite yet, but also their versions of "Heaven" by Shaun Frank & Kshmr and "Something Better" by Audien, did work particularly well in my opinion, while capturing their own signature sound and energy. Their singles "Forever" and "Overdose" with Exit Friendzone were also highlights for me and hopefully we'll be hearing more original work from them in 2017. 



Stream music by Two Friends on SPOTIFY
Follow Two Friends on social media: FACEBOOK // TWITTER



Comments

Popular Posts